Wednesday 24 August 2016

Chale Wote - the Spirit Robot and purple men


I tried to become one with this graffiti butterfly
August is festival time in Ghana, so I was told when I first arrived but didn’t think I’d still be here at that point. But luckily I am and I got to attend the Chale Wote Street Arts Festival, held annually in Jamestown, Accra. The festival’s been running since 2011 and this year’s theme was ‘Spirit Robot,’ but don’t ask me what that means. The festival was on from 15 to 21 August but I only made it for the final day to experience the paintings, graffiti murals, musical performances, acrobats, street boxers and fearless fashion, among other things.




Look up Jamestown and you'll definitely find articles telling you it's one of the poorest parts of Accra. Google aside, I had a resident tell me same when I first visited the area weeks ago - it's poor, run down and neglected by the government. I should add, his message wasn't all doom and gloom. Despite the challenges, he expressed pride in Jamestown and its people. I love the fact that the festival is held in Jamestown, bringing together thousands of people from Ghana and abroad, some of whom may opted to never have thought to visit the area were it not for the festival. And I also appreciate the fact that the festival brings the arts, considered rather bourgeois by some, onto the streets and makes it accessible to everyone.

'Religious Capitalism' - this was one of my favourite works of art at the festival and certainly one of the boldest. A piece addressing important issues surrounding the abuse of religion and women. Below is a more detailed description.

Description of 'Religious Capitalism'

 





I knew before Chale Wote that Jamestown is home to several boxing gyms, serving both children and adults, and it's hugely popular sport in the area. So having boxing as part of the programme was no surprise but I wasn’t expecting to see children, with no protective head gear, boxing for a (mostly) adult audience. I felt a little uneasy, while at the same time impressed by their skills. Whatever I felt, the kids were way into it and seemed to enjoy themselves.


I agree with the message of this piece, but oh, how I wish I could paint over that extra 's.'




Purple vs blue

The Yoruba goddess, Oshun



I had to get myself some of these






Satire - another favourite of mine. The figure on left bears a resemblance to the current British High Commissioner to Ghana. Probably not a coincidence.


Work in progress...




The Jamestown lighthouse, the area's best known landmark


Black power. Respek

"What is she photographing anyway? She must be a foreigner. They'll photograph anything." - Those were the words of a local when he saw me take some photos in Jamestown's fishing village. When he looked at me, turned and spoke to his friend, I had a feeling he was talking about me. I don't understand Ga but my aforementioned partner in crime does and he was able to translate for me. I wasn't bothered, actually, I was amused and happy to have spent a long day walking all over Jamestown, even when it felt like I had pins and needles in my feet. 

4 comments:

  1. Most of the time, objectivity is key in a write-up but such occasions capturing the moment sure does bring a human element to it .. made me feel like ive never been to Jamestown. Big up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Glad to have shown you a different side to Jamestown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson (Matador Network). Thanks for sharing your colourful reality and views.

    ReplyDelete